Sunday, July 23, 2006

Went for the Mizuno Wave Run yesterday, and it wasn't as scary as I expected. Apparently many of the people who went weren't that fit after all, seeing that some started walking after 1km? Haha. That morning, one lane of the entire route was closed off for the runners. The run flagged off at about 8.30am, with the competitive runners with their green number tags going first followed by us, the 'fun-runners' with our white number tags, and it was pretty much a slow jog from Kovan Hub all the way along Tampines Expressway before a U turn back. I've mentioned before that it was ten kilometres, and surprisingly, it wasn't that hard after all, though I clocked in at a pathetic 1h 28min. This was due to the fact, of course that I only ran for about 5km and walked the rest, and also because I spent some of the time jogging on the spot like an idiot. My friend (I won't mention who) was feeling sick and stopped to walk, so I stayed behind with him while the others went ahead first. Nothing heroic or altruistic, but it's just what I think friends should do. Funny thing was though, that he left me behind at the end and decided to jog ahead while I strolled along with Wei Bin and Jing Feng after they slowed down as well to wait for us. He said it was due to a stomachache, and I won't fault him for it since I know he wouldn't lie. Along the way there were a total of 3 water points, where cups of water had been poured for the runners. What was an interesting sight, though was the fact that for the next 25 metres or so after the water point, the grass at side of the road was littered with plastic cups. A whole ton of them, so much so that it resembled snow covering the ground. It was definitely the first time I'd seen such a thing. Ran the last 100 metres or so with Wei Bin, but my sprint was curtailed when I twisted my ankle against some stupid post. Limped the last few metres in. Haha.

Anyway a ton of people I knew were there; Mr. and Mrs. Koh, my school DM and VP respectively who coincidentally happen to be from my church as well, Mr. Nicholas Koh, my school PE teacher and a gang of other Marists. We took a photo after the teachers left - I'll post it if I ever get my hands on it. Paul-sir and Melvin-sir were there too. After resting for a while, we went to collect our goodies bags, one of the highlights of the event, both literally and figuratively, seeing that the dri-fit type T-shirt worth (according to them) $39.90 given was a fluorescent lime green. Nice colour, really. =D

The run finished at about 9 plus, and we went to have breakfast at McDonald's after that. They shortchanged my of my hash brown, though =( . I didn't notice till I started eating and saw that everyone else had one on their trays. Oh well, you win some, you lose some.

Went to play LAN after breakfast at Hougang Superbowl, notorious for it's horrible computers. True to its reputation, we spent a frustrating half an hour changing computers because either a) they were out of order b) the keyboard wasn't working or c) the LAN connection didn't work. I changed computers at least six times, and it didn't help that I had to go over to the counter that was ten metres away just to do so each time. Once things started though it was pretty fun.

The Mizuno Wave Run was a pretty unforgettable experience. You really don't have to be one of those super-fit types just to go for the fun run category, as seen by the many large bellies I saw along the way, and I'll definitely go again next year, though I'll try running all the way the next time.