Tuesday, August 22, 2006

I wasn't kidding when I said I'm dead for prelims. What little bordering-on-the-extent-of-miniscule amount of revision I've done is all over the place. Half a chapter of Physics here, a quarter of Biology there.

There's this horrible sinking feeling whenever I try to do Chemistry or Math. A feeling of dread and urgency in the pit of my stomach that doesn't go away no matter what. My solution to the problem? I stop attempting to do Chemistry or Math. Brilliantly conceived, but it doesn't help. I feel like tearing the hair off my head in frustration. Or just screaming at something.

I totally hate E. Math. Why the hell would I want to know the probability of taking out a blue ball from a bag filled with balls? As such, I've always been handing in examination scripts that are half blank. Sometimes I pass, sometimes I don't, but I sure need much more than a pass if I want my A1. Thus begins the feeble attempt at the insurmountable.

Chemistry isn't all bad. I find organic chemistry and macromolecules rather easy, but it's the stupid chemical calculations that'll be the death of me. 196g of iron? 4 moles? To hell with it.

Well enough of that.

Got back the pre- and post- test English papers today. Before you start scratching your head and going "Huh?", let me explain. At the start of Secondary Three, my English teacher, Miss Tan conducted a English Comprehension pre-test to assess our ability with the language. We did the test and heard no more of it for a whole year. Now before I go on, let me go on a bit about my English teacher.

Miss Tan is rather well known for her strict marking. In short, almost everyone whose paper she marks gets absymal grades in both comprehension and composition. Now when I say absymal, I mean single digit out of 50 marks absymal. Well, not for myself, but that's besides the point. In short, everyone is or was seeking to get just a pass grade from her.

On to the post test. Now, the post test was the same exact paper taken two weeks ago, and the purpose of the two tests was to see how much we'd learnt and how our marks had improved from absolutely dreadful before learning all the techniques from her to just dreadful or better after. Obviously there should have been improvements in terms of marks, and in most cases it was true, there were cases of people getting 12 marks the first time getting 30 now. Some had only marginal improvements of 2-3 marks or so.

Guess by how many marks I've improved by?

5? 10? 8? 3?
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Nah. None of the above. I improved from the first time around by a whopping zero marks. LOL. I got exactly 25 marks on both rounds. HAHA top that. 12 marks for comprehension and 13 marks for summary the first time; 13 for comprehension and 12 for summary the second time. Now that is some funny, because it seems that I'm the only one in the level who managed this. I must admit though, this time around I was slightly careless and lost 2 marks off my summary. But hey, I'm not complaining. At least I didn't get something lower than before.

Oh, did I mention that I'm screwed for prelims?