Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Normally I try to stay away from politics and other serious matters, choosing to dwell more on more lighthearted issues and boring dictations of what happened during my day, but this time I feel it's different.

North Korea has successfully conducted a nuclear test. Now, I'm not going to act as if I know it all and say that I understand everything this entails, but I know enough to know that it's really bad. For a long time now the North Korean (Democratic People's Republic of Korea? It's a Communist country for crying out loud. Oh the irony.) government has acted like nothing more than a petulant schoolboy, throwing tantrums and getting back at the US by counterfeiting the greenback. Countries opposed to them have responded with economic sanctions and suspension of food aid, and still North Korea persisted. Not in a good way, I might add. If you take a look at a timeline of events leading to the nuclear test, it's apparent that North Korea never was serious about the six-party talks, only wanting to gain financial relief for other countries in exchange for not developing its nuclear programme. Well it did anyway.

It seems that the North Korean government counterfeited extremely high-quality fake US dollars in an attempt to destabilise the US economy. Now I don't really support the US, but a government actually counterfeiting the currency of other countries? Shit. Now I've seen it all. And their government, instead of spending all that money to develop the country uses it to develop missile and nuclear technology instead. Wow that is some smarts there. You can't even support your own people, your citizens are living in poverty and you still want to develop nukes for "national security"? What kind of crappy analogy is that? What a joke. And Singaporeans love to critique our own government, which I admit openly I support. People here always seem to take our security, stability and uncorrupt governent for granted. Go over to North Korea, I say. Maybe you and Kim Jong Il can be best buddies. If he doesn't shoot you, that is. While you're at it, please get him to change his hairstyle too. Millions of bucks spent a nuclear programme and he can't even get a proper haircut.

We have a world crisis on our hands, and someone really should get a proper hairstylist for the president of North Korea. What's next? Iran, now?