Sunday, November 19, 2006

It was about 9+ in the morning, I'd just gone downstairs and started reading the papers.


Dad: Are you going anywhere today?

Me: I'm meeting Yi He at Orchard. At about 2.30.

*slight pause*

Dad: The new xbox got offer is it?

Me: Yeah, the 360.

Dad: I'll bring you out to get it, and then I'll drop you off to meet your friend.




And that was how I got my 360. LOL really. Don't remember the exact conversation, but it was something really close to this.


Thank you seems to be the hardest word for me when talking to my parents. It's normally 'sorry' for other people, but I've no problems at all apologising if I've made a mistake or thanking others when it comes to friends or even strangers. It's just.....hard, you know? 'Sorry' and 'Thank you" are probably the least used words in my vocabulary when I talk to my parents, which is sad because I say these words all the time to friends, and one of my personal principles is always to mean it when I say them. But with my parents, it's different. See, it's not that I'm not grateful or anything. In fact the feelings of appreciation are even stronger with them, but I just don't express them outwardly. Weird, but that's just the way it is.

So it was the same when I got my 360. I really wanted to thank my Dad, but I didn't because my face was a visage of apathy and non-emotion. Inside though I felt really happy, really content and appreciative of how lucky I was. Corny from a guy, I know, but hey that's what a high EQ does for you (note I didn't say IQ so don't flame me pls).

Perhaps a high EQ is the key to being appreciative of your friends, parents and all those around you, because taking things for granted doesn't apply to me anymore. Thanks Dad.