Monday, December 25, 2006

At the risk of sounding like a bloody ingrate, I'll type this post. Haha.

First of all, let me set the record straight: I love Christmas. The festive atmosphere, the carols, Church, everything, so pardon me if I do sound like some bitter fellow who's seen himself through a war. Okay I'm exaggerating.

Background information: Every year on Christmas day my parents and I go over to my grandmother's for Christmas lunch. That is of course, where everyone in my extended family gathers and is where I get my presents, of course.

Anyway, we all know I'm an appreciative guy (no, I'm not promoting myself, thank you). Do something for me, even if it's small, and I'll always remember, I'll always feel gratitude. Okay enough of that. Every year, the actual presents I get can be counted with the fingers of one hand. The rest: All vouchers. Let me say something I've always wanted to say - I absolutely dislike vouchers. Whoever came up with them as gift ideas was a sorry ass who probably bought them for himself because no one else gave him presents. Better than giving cash to yourself right?

The reason that people give when they always give me vouchers for Christmas is that they can never find anything suitable for me. Well that might be true in a sense, because adults don't understand teenagers, they don't realise that to me, it's not about whether it's suitable or not. Forgive me for being emo, but truly, I believe it's the thought that counts. While it is also correct to say that my relatives who give me such vouchers wish me well, I personally feel that just going to a store to buy vouchers in bulk isn't much of a thought now, is it? I love the people around me, but I still don't like vouchers.

Vouchers are terrible things to give to others. Some think that it's better than simply giving cash in a red packet, because after all, you make the effort to go to the store to get them right? Furthermore, people can can what they want there, tight? But the thing is, others now have to make the effort to go to that store to get stuff as well. Me? I'd rather get cash if you wat me to go buy whatever I want, thank you very much.

I must repeat myself again just so this isn't lost on you: I still love the people who give me vouchers. But I appreciate even more those who actually go out and get me a proper gift. It doesn't even have to be expensive. Something costing ten bucks probably won't make me hop around for joy, but I'm extremely thankful. People like my godparents and sisters who get me actual gifts, even if they're not particularly useful or nice (those from my godfamily have always been both), I constantly cherish.

'Tis the season of giving, but to give sincerely with thought to the gift, that's what's most important to me. Don't you agree?