Sunday, April 01, 2007

Endorphins (or more correctly Endomorphines) are endogenous opioid biochemical compounds. They are peptides produced by the pituitary gland and the hypothalamus in vertebrates, and they resemble the opiates in their abilities to produce analgesia and a sense of well-being. In other words, they might work as "natural pain killers." Using drugs may increase the effects of the endorphins.
The term "endorphin" implies a pharmacological activity (analogous to the activity of the corticosteroid category of biochemicals) as opposed to a specific chemical formulation.
The term endorphin rush has been adopted in popular speech to refer to feelings of exhilaration brought on by pain, danger, or other forms of stress,[1] supposedly due to the influence of endorphins. However, this term does not occur in the medical literature.

- Wikipedia


You've probably heard of endorphins. They're what're known as 'feel good hormones', because the long and short of it is that's what they are. They make you feel good, and one of the ways endorphins are supposedly produced is through exercise, which is being debated. No I'm not going to add my opinion on endorphins and contribute to the debate here. My point: Sometimes after I exercise I do feel good, but all it takes is for me to look into the mirror and it's like I'm flushing all those hormones away. Meaning I don't particularly like what I see, to put it mildly, so I'm going to try harder to do something about it.

I'm rather broke now. I wonder why. Okay well actually I don't. I'm just a little disappointed I don't print money.