Saturday, August 04, 2007

Went for the CJC Gymnastics concert yesterday. Yes you heard right, a gym concert, which basically consisted of the gymnasts doing stuff to music, with support from some dancers too. It was pretty cool, and I'm rather glad I went. There were quite a number of screw-ups along the way, but it didn't matter. The routines were still nice la.

Which brings me to another point. I'm in JC1 and 17 this year, but all along it's never really hit me that we've all actually grown up so much. It's like, wah go JC already, mature young men and women, but you never really view it that way at first. For most people, it's probably just a continuation of secondary school, with perhaps the opportunity to mix with the other sex. For some it's a harrowing experience - some people just remain all clammed up. For others it's just plain fun. Suffice to say I didn't clam up. But anyway.

The signs that we've all come a long way are there, but nobody really notices them. Until something which gives you an opportunity to see how you or your friends have grown comes along. CJC's gym concert was one of those things. Ben looked so handsome and mature in those costumes, and that's saying a lot because I'm not in the slightest inclined towards being gay. Cheerin and Wei-lyn were graceful and, dare I say it - beautiful exacting their routines. Those were pretty eye-opening moments, times when we got to see other sides of our classmates we never really got to see. Yeah of course I knew Ben was in trampoline, Cheerin was in rhythmic and Wei-lyn was in artistic gym, but seeing them actually doing stuff, now that gave real depth to what they were doing. It wasn't a sudden realisation, but my friends are all young adults now.

Suppered at Newton Circus after that, ate a hell lot of good stuff - char kway teow, fried oyster, chicken wings, murtabak, stingray. Shiok but sinful.

My class is like the best. So many talented (there's a national fencer in my class =D) and fun people. And I'm sure the eye-opening will continue.